Full Time European Research Area (ERA) Chair Holder Position In Translational Stem Cell Biology (TRANSTEM)
The Medical University – Varna, Bulgaria, is looking for a senior researcher to serve as the ERA Chair of Translational Stem Cell Biology to lead a team of researchers within the newly established Research Institute of MU-Varna (RIMUV).
ERA Chair holders should be outstanding researchers and research managers with proven record of effective leadership which allow her/him to make appropriate resource allocation decisions, supervise team members and freely apply for research funding. He or she should establish their own team to improve the excellence of the research and thereby modify their research and innovation landscape. In parallel (s) he should implementing the structural changes necessary to achieve excellence on a sustainable basis. ERA Chair should interact with national or regional authorities and other stakeholders to coordinate actions and mobilize support, including, where relevant, from European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF). Links with sustainable development objectives are to be outlined.
The candidate should have experience in a R&D institution for at least 5 years post-doctoral period and has published as first and senior author in leading international peer-reviewed journals in the field. Experience in managing a lab, budgeting and a successful track record in project writing are valuable.
Description of the project can be found here https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/224211/factsheet/en
HOURS PER WEEK40 (for full time)
Starting in the position: Summer or early Autumn of 2020 (the expected start date is negotiable).
The position is funded from the European Commission’s ERA Chairs programme (TRANSTEM project) until October 2023. If the work of the elected professor will be positively evaluated during the last year of the TRANSTEM project, the professorship can be continued after the project end as a tenured professorship.
R3 or R4 level researcher (see https://cdn5.euraxess.org/sites/default/files/policy_library/towards_a_european_framework_for_research_careers_final.pdf).
PhD in biomedical specialties.
Internationally competitive scientist in any field of stem cell biology.
Proven expertise in scientific and educational management (a significant scientific track record proven by publications in major international peer-reviewed scientific journals and patents).
Expertise in securing grants from international funding agencies (EU grants, NIH grants, etc.)
Term contract with 6-month initial probation period and a 3-month notice period for resignation or redundancy;
Initial appointment for 4 years with a possibility;
Internationally competitive salary up to 120,000 €/year;
Salary of up to 6 full time collaborators, which will be selected with the active participation of the ERA Chair;
Laboratory space and standard equipment, start-up money up to €125,000, conditional on the proposed work plan;
The position is at a regionally leading scientific and education institution;
Support from institutional IPR and Projects Offices;
Annual vacations (excluding national bank holidays): 30 days.
TRANSTEM Key Objectives
More on the TRANSTEM project on www.mu-varna.bg/transtem/erachaircall
This position is open to any person with the desired skills and experience listed above. No discrimination on the basis of gender, age, ethnic, national or social origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, native language, disability, political opinion, social, economic condition or any other criteria other that skills and experience will be made.
The candidates are expected to submit required application documents in English by 15thMarch 2020 (including) to Personnel Office of Medical University-Varna or digitally signed to email@example.com), with the title „TRANSTEM competition“ as follows:
- a motivation letter, in which the candidate provides an overview of the aims that he or she will seek to realise in developing the field;
- curriculum vitae, including data on research and teaching. In particular, as a separate sections within the CV:
- a list of research publications with links to PubMed that sets out in a separate section the research works published in international editions and employ a peer review system.
- a file consisting of up to 10 representative research publications related to the TRANSTEM project;
- a research plan proposal (max 3.000 words) for the specific stem cell field the candidate proposes to develop, including:
- which research direction(s) and activities would you propose for TRANSTEM in the course of four years;
- plans for raising external funding for research;
- what could be the strategies for cooperating with external international and/or national partners (both private and public sector);
- plan for translating existing experiences from supervising graduate students and managing research teams into the TRANSTEM project;
- List of patents (if available);
of documents proving the qualification to hold the position will be
requested from the short-listed candidates. Originals or certified
copies of the document proving qualification and its annexes may be
requested from the candidate. If a degree has been earned abroad, an
assessment from the National Centre for Information and Documentation
(NACID) certifying the correspondence of that qualification to the
requirements established for the employment position, may be requested
from the candidate.
Timeline of the competition:
1 November 2019 – Announcement of the competition.
15 March 2020– The deadline for the applications.
16-31 March 2020 – Eligibility checks confirming the requirements
April – 14 May 2020– Short-listing and interviews with the candidates (Personnel Office and Academic Committee of RIMUV).
15 May 2020– The election of the professor will be held in the Academic Council of Medical University-Varna.
The Personnel Office will contact every candidate concerning results of the election as soon as possible, but not latest than 2 weeks after the decision.
The election committee of the ERA Chair holder will contact the
candidates to make the agreements of the time, place and topic of
meetings and the public lecture, if necessary.Why Varna, Bulgaria?
- Varna is the largest university center in East Bulgaria covering all university specialties.
- Good communications with the world: Excellent for organizing conferences and other scientific meetings (International airport)..
- Varna is the biggest town on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast and a popular centre of business activities.
- Nice culture, climat, nature, and friendly people.
- Fast changing society and industry.
Why Medical University – Varna?
- Large University Hospital covers a region with a population of more then 2 millions inhabitants.
- University Hospital „St. Marina“ in Varna is the most modern medical and diagnostic structure in North-East Bulgaria, possessing latest generation equipment.
- Clinical hematopoietic cell transplantations performed at a regular basis.
- Strong relations with regional and governmental institutions.
- Cooperating researchers, willing to grow and ready for challenges.
- Medical University-Varna makes huge investments in Research and Development.